Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Guess You Did Make an Impression, Little Tomato

So last night after attending the portfolio showcase for the 2007 graduating CMU designers, I went to the bar with 12,000 of my friends, some professors, the head of the School O'Drama, and various other alumni.

It was a good time. There was lots of gossip, fun stories, silliness, and inter-table texting. I got a new silly nickname because of whom I will be living with next year (Mikey and Megan and I are now officially going to be rooommates...it will be the most fun ever or implode- stay tuned to see which way it goes)and my favorite former professor told a story about me from freshman year about how I kind of told Ming Cho Lee how it really is. When Ming came and visited my freshman year, he basically told us that he thought an undergraduate theatre program was a load of crap and that people should wait until they are in grad school to focus. Apparently, after he told us this there was a long period of silence and then I raised my hand and told why an undergraduate theatre program was in fact not a load of crap.

I remember what I said now vaguely - I told Ming that every project we did required us to learn about something new and go research something new, and that I was being educated in a million different things with theatre as the impetus behind the learning. To be honest, I missed most of Ming's visit because I had the death flu (I remember that my friend Beth would bring me snacks because I was so sick I couldn't leave the dorm). But the nice thing about the whole evening was that I realized that I hadn't been a forgetable student. And that is nice. Plus Dick really was/is one of my favorite teachers ever.

I also got to meet a new School of Drama acting faculty member. He is British and he was a lot of fun. He made me laugh when he talked about the effects of Facebook on how students interacted with each other and how his students interacted with him after he joined Facebook. I still can't believe that students leave him academic related messages on his Wall. Chuckle, chuckle.

No comments: