Wednesday, March 7, 2007

One Hand Smells Like Tea and One is Blue...

I was trying to dye/stain fake money so it looked less American for this show I am doing props for, but as you can see from this blog post title, things may have gone awry.

I have officially accepted a job. I tried to negotiate more salary and I did, but not as much as I had hoped, however I am making much more money than I ever did before AND I will be sitting pretty with all my expenses. Now I just have to do my taxes and I can sit pretty after I get that whole apartment thing figured out. Please please if you know me, picture me perched on a couch in the Queens Salvation Army surrounded by fake flowers and crocheted blankets and a wood crate frantically doing math in my planner as I negotiate salary with HR at Manhattan Theater Club. Yes, yes, this is my life - I am starting to be convinced that I handle a lot of crazy situations with a little grace (of course it helps when you are comfortable with looking silly in public to get the job done - if you can't handle that, you be screwed.)

I played anthropologist today as I watched the mating rituals of the Brooklyn adolescent on the subway. I learned that the best way to hit on a lady when you are sixteen is to yell at her and ask her where she goes to school and what grade she is in. If she is a freshman, you'd best watch your step. The whole episode was pretty funny - I would have been a bit taken aback I feel at fourteen to sixteen but these girls were giving as good as they got. The first step is the yelling and establishing of basic facts, then if the adolescents like each other at this point they sit by each other BUT ONLY in groups. Tomorrow I will document the commuting rituals of the asian post forty crew....

No comments: