Thursday, April 12, 2007

Blackbird

Tonight I saw Blackbird, winner of the 2007 Olivier Award for Best New Play. Written by the charming David Harrower, the MTC production stars Alison Pill and Jeff Daniels. This play is hard to watch. This play is amazing. These performers are working - anyone who thinks being an actor isn't a real job needs to see this play. You could easily dismiss this show as "that pedophilia play" but Benjamin Brantley of the New York Times (bless him and his wonderful review - MTC broke a daily wrap record today!) says "you have to accept it as a love story — a tragic, horrible love story that destroys lives, but a love story all the same" and he is right.

Now I have never ever been in a situation like the one presented in Blackbird but I related to both characters and I understood their motivations because it really is a love story. Anyone who has been in a relationship that ended will understand something about these characters - the need to deconstruct, revisit, and try and figure out what happened in the past.

This show has been getting strong reviews and as a result tickets are moving fast. I went through my first quote meeting and experience of running around getting hard copies of reviews at 8:30 in the morning from various Hudson News stands.

I was proud to have contributed to this show in some way, even if it was fixing a printing problem for various flyers and making sure the PLAYBILL looked right. I helped. :)

No comments: