Monday, April 23, 2007

If I Gave This a Title Then It Would Be Awkward...

My weekend was a string of id driven impulses... When I was hungry I ate, when I wanted to lay in the park, I laid in the park. When I felt like I had to cry and laugh, I cried and laughed.

I went to a memorial for a famous design professor in the School of Drama. To say "professor" is not enough...terms like legend, the backbone of the program, the great one are more appropriate.

Seeing my former professors brought to tears as they talked about this man and the impact he had on their lives brought me to tears. To witness people who for several years have been your rocks, your challengers, your mentors go through so much emotion in a theatre filled with people is a very, very strange thing.

My advisor said he felt very privileged to have been asked to speak. I told him I felt very privileged to be able to help and support him when he was upset, because he had done it for me so many times.

This weekend was good and strange and difficult and eloquent... I think my life will always be filled with ambivalence and extremes - I witnessed how elegant and appropriate a memorial can be at a very intense world-class university, but I also saw a llama in a Steelers Jersey and a midget poured a shot in my mouth at the bar.

No comments: