Sunday, April 1, 2007

Trash trash and more trash!

I did a strike for a show today and threw out many many useful things. It's very frustrating to realize how many things just get thrown out that could so easily become functional items for other people. I mean trash picking is not glamourous but it is cheap and helps cut down on the sheer mass of waste. I tried to leave the useful items in an open bag that wasn't a trash bagso perhaps someone would see them and give them a new home. I considered keeping the items or trying to donate them to theatres but I already had to carry a suitcase and a laundry bag full of items I need to return to various sources, and could not physically carry any more stuff on the subway. Actually I could if I had a big backpack...but I didn't. I also don't really have a real home yet, so that is awkward and probably not a good idea for me to be building up a stockpile of "things that might make good props someday oneday who knows...?"

Sigh. I'm glad this show is over for a number of reasons:

1. I was getting ridiculous notes to take care of and trying to juggle my new job.
2. I had to deal with decisions like "Do I want to see my ex-boyfriends parents since they are apparently going to the closing show that I was going to go to?" This decision became a moot point when the ATM decided to eat both my check and my debit card leaving me to deal with the bank for a 1/2 hour on the phone at 10:00 on a Saturday night...my deposit was made, and I get to pick up my debit card at the bank tomorrow morning...yay Wamu bank.
3. How do I deal with my first one night stand - ie. we had the sex and now I have to decide if I want it to go anywhere or if I just leave it be...
4. Communication was not at it's best within the team.
5. Getting paid at real job, not so much at this one.

STILL, it was a fabulous experience and I got to meet a ton of new people especially Ali whom I hope will stick around.

I ran into a friend from college in the subway and he picked me up and spun me around which made me chuckle. I like that New York is kind of like a giant playground and I get to run into people I know randomly all the time - from high school, college, internships, etc. It's good because it seems like if you meet someone and connect with them they don't really necessarily leave your life.....it's bad when you look like poo and feel like poo and don't want to see anybody.

I've been seeing a great deal of theatre lately mostly for free which is one of the perks of working in theatre - you get comp tickets every hour. I paid quite a bit to see the Edward Scissorhands ballet which was not amazing overall but had five or six design moments that were gorgeous. There was a part when Edward and Kim are dancing in the topiary garden and in a blackout the set changed to a bunch of semi-human looking topiaries and then they started to dance! The costumes were so good and the people so still that at first I really didn't know if they were props or people. It was pretty amazing. At the end fake snow also sprayed into the audience and hundreds of little children gasped in amazement which was a beautiful little "this is why I work in this industry" sound. Of course, after striking today and creating lots of trash, I grumble at the tons of wasted fake snow....

I'm sad because two people I know in New York broke up and I really like both of them, but I'm really only connected to one of them in a logical fashion. I also really thought they were a lovely and supportive couple. My beliefs in love have really taken a kick in the ribs. So sad. I think the only thing to do is eat some food before I have to go to the Carnegie Club tonight for a work event and schmooze with the patrons.

Must find dressy outfit to wear and possibly return a ridiculous purse I bought. I was trying to buy grown up clothes, but a purse...that's impossible for me to like unless it has dots on it or something or maybe a picture of a monkey.

No comments: